Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2009

NATIONAL SCOUT DAY


July 1st is National Scout Day in Thailand. Scouting in Thailand is strongly supported by the government and is a big part of school curriculum. Every Thursday students and teachers wear their scout uniforms to school and greet you with a salute. The older boys wear funny little ranger hats and brown uniforms, the older girls wear green uniforms and green hats. The little kids wear blue uniforms and these cute little short-billed baseball caps. And they all tie little bandanas around their necks. The teachers also wear scout uniforms, the men sport brown knee-high socks and cool belts. I don't have a cool uniform, I just wear my regular dress pants and a dress shirt on Thursdays.

Every morning the students kick off their day with the flag ceremony, it's held in the courtyard and lasts for about a half hour. On July 1st the morning flag ceremony was extended to celebrate National Scout Day. They honored a handful of teachers and marched around the courtyard for a while, it was quite an event! The picture in the upper left corner is of the courtyard full of students, and that's not even all of them! None of the kindergarten kids were there, and all of the first and second graders were hanging out in the cafeteria just off the courtyard. Scout Day was funny.

3 comments:

  1. Remind me to show you Katherine Bowie's book about the scout movement in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the one with my endorsement on the back cover...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jesse.
    I just found your post on "rantee"... well it's paradise on earth - your right! I've been there 5 years ago... only rustic huts, very nice people and good snorkling sites... well, I planned to visite "hat-rantee" next week...and beacause of that I "googled" rantee. I just found that: (http://krabidir.com/ranteeresort/) IS THIS TRUE?!?!?!? If yes - I most probably wouldn't go there anymore! So it would be very nice of you, if you could write me a short email (timethy_@hotmail.com) and tell me if the place is still remote and rustic... or it turned into a "resort-place" ... thanks in advance! Have a nice trip - cheers Tim

    ReplyDelete