Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

ROAD TRIP


My sister and friends weren't getting into Johannesburg for another week after I arrived, so I was going to be on my own for a little while. I hadn't really figured out where I was going to stay when I got off the plane, and things were already starting to fill up for the World Cup, but luckily I was able to find a fun and festive hostel to stay in called Brown Sugar Backpackers. The crowd was very international and I ended up hanging out with these three Chilean guys and couple of Mexicans. Originally I had planned to head down to Cape Town until my sister arrived, but instead I decided to join my new friends on a road trip for a few days. After two nights at Brown Sugar we rented a van and headed east towards Kruger National Park. It was me, three Chileans, two Mexicans, and an Italian. The World Cup didn't start for another five or six days, but my new group of friends didn't hesitate to take every opportunity they could to flaunt their national pride. The car ride was full of chanting, horn honking and flag waving. And no one left the car with out their flag draped over their shoulders. Here's a picture I took on our second day after we got pulled over for speeding, the police totally busted us with a radar gun. But after the Chileans offered the police officers one of their flags, and after we posed for a few pictures, the cops let us off for for free and even shared a few laughs with us. Good times...

2 comments: