Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

(RAI)LAY OVER


When I realized that my friends Sara and Ryan were going to be vacationing in Thailand at the same time I’d be making my way to Malaysia, I couldn’t help but to plan a quick stopover to see them. Sara and Ryan are a couple of San Francisco friends that now live in Sydney, and Sara and I used to work together in advertising. Traveling in China had been routinely confusing, but since I'd lived in Thailand for most of 2009, making my way from Bangkok to the islands was a breeze, and before I knew it I was floating up to the sandy beaches of Railay on a long-tail boat. We hadn’t planned a time and place to meet, but before anything I needed a splash in the water to cool off. That worked out well because before long Sara and Ryan came paddling by on a kayak. After lunch we boarded a long-tail boat and puttered out to sea for an afternoon of snorkeling. That was great, except for the fact that my mustache was too thick and slightly impeded the suction of the mask to my face. Snorkeling with a beard is not ideal, I need a shave! As evening approached we stopped off on an island for a picnic dinner. We'd missed the sunset due to an obstructing island, but once on land we were redeemed with an amazing dark-orange full-moonrise over the ocean. It was getting dark as we motored back towards Railay, and off in the distance heat-lightning illuminated the night sky. Our last stop was for a night swim with bioluminescence, and after the boat anchored in calm waters in the night-shadow of a karstic island, we jumped into the water and splashed about in an explosion of aquatic sparkles. It was a fun and tiring day, but we still found ourselves up late, sharing beers and playing boardgames on the balcony of a bar overlooking the eastern beach. The next day we relaxed. By noon we were in the water, neck deep in the gentle waves, sipping cold beers and enjoying a day in paradise. We spent the evening on the beach, lighting floating lanterns and watching them blow out to sea. The next day came too quick, and just like that our rendezvous in Railay was over. Sara and Ryan left for Australia and I ventured farther south. I had made some good companions on my solo travels in China, but it’s always wonderful to see old friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment