Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

SINGAPORE


From Thailand I made my way south to Singapore. I had a few days before my flight to Kota Kinabalu, so it was the perfect chance for me to visit our old family friends, Chin and Sok. Chin grew up in Malaysia and met my parents in the mid-70s when he attended Kenyon College and had my father as a professor. After Kenyon (and then Harvard) Chin moved to Singapore. They stayed in touch over the years, and as our families grew we'd take turns hosting each other on trips across the Pacific. We’ve seen Chin and Sok in the states a number of times, but I was the last Kipp to make it to Singapore to see them - it was about time!

It was only a short stay, but the entire day and a half was pretty much one big feast. The first day started with noodles for breakfast, dim sum for lunch, satay and stingray for dinner, and shaved ice and a soursop shake for dessert. Not to mention plenty of snacks in between. And believe it or not we actually did a good deal of sightseeing as well. I was still full the next day when I woke up, but once we got to Little India I had no problem devouring my delicious vegetarian dosa for breakfast. After some more exploring the tour concluded with a delicious fish head curry lunch! Chin had to roll me onto the airplane, and I just barely snapped out of my food coma as the plane touched down in Kota Kinabalu...

No comments:

Post a Comment