Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

SO LONG, SABAH


The State of Sabah, Malaysia - on the island of Borneo. This is where I've spent the last three and a half months of my life. You could say I've been traveling, but when I tell people about my summer I'll say that I lived here. Outside of my homebase in Kota Kinabalu, a majority of my time has been spent between Charlie's jungle camp - Lupa Masa, and Mantanani Island. Jungle, beach, jungle, beach, repeat. Sabah has been good to me! Three and a half months isn't that long, but it's definitely more than just passing through. I will miss this place, and the friends I've made.

I started this blog in 2009 when I quit my job in advertising and left for Thailand to teach English. So far it’s just been a travel blog, and luckily I’ve been able to continue adding to it. But unlike my last couple of trips, I actually have a plan for my return to the states... graduate school! The next stop for me will be New York City where I’ll be attending NYU to get a masters degree in journalism. Up until now, this whole blogging thing has just been a fun way to keep family and friends informed on my pointless shenanigans, but who knows, perhaps I’ll find someway to make a livelihood out of it? I guess we’ll see.

Oh, but my adventures are not quite done! There's a village in northern Sumatra where my mom and dad used to live for a couple of years back in the 70s, so before I head back to the states I'll be making a quick detour through Indonesia to retrace my parents' anthropological footsteps...

No comments:

Post a Comment