Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

DEVON


The Mongol Rally kicked off in England the weekend of July 13th, but I left New York a few days early to hang out with my friend Merissa, or Mo. This is not the first time Mo has appeared on my blog, if you scroll back to last summer you can read about our adventures in the Philippines!

I landed at Heathrow on Tuesday evening, and after Mo swooped me up from the airport, we drove to her parents house in Leighton Buzzard for the night. It was a short but pleasant stay, and the next morning we left for Mo’s place in Torquay, on the southwest coast of Devon County. I’d been to England before, both times to London, so I was excited to get out of the city and explore the coastal countryside. Devon was amazing, and it changed my whole perception of England. I also just happened to catch some extremely ideal weather. 


Mo was an excellent host, and we packed in a good three days of non-stop exploring. Devon is full of patch-work farmland and rolling hills that cradle quaint villages and butt up against dramatic sea cliffs. We drove along winding roads and bopped from town to town, drank beers by the seaside and snacked on Cornish pasties. We walked through the medieval village of Cockington, strolled along the River Teign, hiked around Dartmoor National Park, and caught an amazing sunset from Berry Head Lighthouse. 

Saturday came too soon, but it was time for me to head to Bodium Castle for the launch of the Mongol Rally. First task - find Johannes and Derick...

No comments:

Post a Comment