Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

DUMNOEN SADUAK FLOATING MARKET


On Sunday morning Kate, Eee, Cartoon and I took a off for Ratchaburi Province to visit the Dumnoen Saduak Floating Market.  Back in June I visited a floating market on the outskirts of Bangkok with my friend Dana (you can see my blog post about it), it was a fun exploration of life on the canals, but the floating market itself was rather dead.  Dumnoen Saduak Floating Market, on the other hand, was active and bustling, and very much alive.  The four of us hopped into a small long-tail boat once we arrived and set out to explore the waterways.  The market was packed!  We had to be careful to keep our hands off the sides of the boat so our fingers wouldn't get pinched as we squeezed by other boats.  People strolled along the sides of the canals and waved over the paddling vendors to make an exchange.  And some sections of the canal were lined with small shops that were only accessible by boat.  My favorite boats were the ones selling fruit, I think it's because they were so vibrant.  We grabbed lunch on the canal and ate as we floated along.  I had a tasty bowl of noodles and an extremely delicious plate of mango and sticky rice drizzled in coconut milk.  And to cool things off we had some homemade coconut ice cream which we ate out of the coconut shell.  I think it may have been one of my favorite lunches in Thailand so far.  Good times.

3 comments:

  1. Jesse Jesse. These pictures and the story are wonderful. Food! Fruit! Colors! What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, spelled something wrong last time... Now THAT's what I call a floating market! :)

    ReplyDelete