Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

FERDINAND THE SOUTHEAST ASIAN TRACTOR


My old friend the water buffalo, it's nice to see you again! I'd recognize that U-shaped crown anywhere! I came across these two on my hike to the 'secret village' when I was in Yangshuo. My two Chinese friends just called it a 'cow', but I had to tell them that it was actually a water buffalo, and that there was a big difference. I've never actually had the chance to get to know a water buffalo, but they seem like wonderful creatures. I first became acquainted with them back in 2003 when I studied abroad in Vietnam, and now that I've reached southern China I've started to spot them here and there. They're all over Vietnam, and from what I understand they fill a very cherished roll in Vietnamese culture. There's a fabled image of a young boy playing a flute on the back of a water buffalo, and sans flute playing, it wasn't that uncommon to see. It was always one of those shots I'd attempt to take through the bus window on a bumpy road - those never turn out well. But to see a kid or two lounging on the back of one of those gentle beasts was always a pleasant sight. They seem so tender and patient, but at the same time so very strong and hardworking. Not to mention loyal and trustworthy, and of course great with kids - all admirable qualities! They may not be the life of the party, but they sure make a damn good friend. The bulls can get pretty burly, with huge rotund bodies and massive hooves, a perfect build for trudging through the mud when ploughing rice paddies - the good ol' southeast Asian tractor. If I had one there's no question I'd name it Ferdinand after the bull from the children's story Ferdinand the Bull. It's a wonderful fable that takes place in Spain, about a strapping-but-sweet young bull who gets mistaken for a savage bovine when he goes momentarily berserk after sitting on a bumblebee. This gets the attention of some matadors who are quick to tout Ferdinand as the most fierce bull in the land. His legend escalates, but when he finally gets released into the bullring, all he wants to do is sit down in the middle and ignore the taunting bullfighters. In the end he's let back out to into the pasture where can resume his pacifist ways and sit under his favorite cork tree to smell the flowers. It's a nice a tale, but it's also the story of every single water buffalo in southeast Asia. I doubt Ferdinand the Bull was translated into Vietnamese, they'd read it and be like, well duh! 

No comments:

Post a Comment