Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

LITTLE EMPEROR


My sister lives in the historic town of Gettysburg, and luckily I was able to spend quite a bit of time there with her this last fall. One of the things I always tried to convince her and her friends to do with me was to go into one of those touristy photo studios where you get dressed up in Civil War garb and pose for an old-timey sepia-tinted photograph. I thought it'd be fun, but we never got around to it. In Pingyao I came across the Chinese version of the old-timey photo shoot. On the main street, in the middle of the town, with the old City Tower looming behind, a little boy dressed as an emperor posed for a picture with his mother and grandmother at his side.  It was pretty cute, although just a little anachronistic with all the modern-day foot traffic in the background.  If I ever get back to Gettysburg and partake in one of those photo shoots, I'll make sure to try and get one with my cell phone at my ear.

1 comment: