Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2009

THE GRAND PALACE


Last week was great, I had an unexpected six day weekend! On Tuesday morning Mac and I took off for downtown Bangkok to meet up with our friend Nina. Nina's a teacher as well, and her school was also closed down for the week because of the swine flu. Mac and Nina were planning a trip up north to Chiang Mai, and after hearing that morning that my friend Dana was on Ko Phi Phi, I decided I would head back down to the islands. We booked our tickets, none of which had us leaving until later in the day, and then decided to check out the Grand Palace while we had some time on our hands. The Grand Palace was built in the late 1700s, and although the present King Rama IX doesn't currently live there, it has been the home to most of Thailand's royal families. The entire complex is made up of a bunch of different buildings - temples, galleries, goverment offices, libraries, a monestary, and tons of statues and murals. It's quite big, and it's immaculate, so clean and well kept. The architecture and the attention to detail is amazing, buildings and statues covered in mosaics, and entire walls painted with intricate murals. After seeing as much as we could in a few hours, I parted ways with Mac and Nina and took off for the airport to catch my flight to Phuket...

No comments:

Post a Comment