Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

LAS PEÑAS


I've been in Ecuador for over a week now, and it's been awesome so far. I arrived in Guayaquil last Thursday and had a day to explore before my friends Heidi and Grace arrived. Heidi and Grace are friends of mine from San Francisco and have just set out to spend six months exploring South America.
Guayaquil is the largest city in Ecuador, and it may not be the most popular destination for tourists and travelers, but I actually found it to be a pretty cool place. It sits along the massive Rio Guayas, and in the last ten years the city has invested a lot of time and money in rebuilding the riverfront, now called Malecon 2000. The promenade is full of shops and restaurants, gardens and playgrounds, and it collects a nice breeze off of the river. It's a wonderful place to hang out for people of all ages.

Heading north along the waterfront I ended up in Las Peñas, an old historic slum that wraps around a hill with a lighthouse perched on top. Like the Malecon 2000, Las Peñas has undergone a major renovation in the last ten years. However, only the buildings along the the steep, stair-filled path leading up to the lighthouse have gotten the makeover. The walkway is quite charming. It`s full of brightly colored cafes, bars, gift shops, and homes, but as soon as you wander off the main path the transition is drastic and in the blink of an eye the alleyway reverts back to the old dark and dirty shantytown. The picture on the left was taken from the Malecon 2000 looking up at Las Peñas, and from that perspective you can kind of see how the buildings on the right side of the hill have a bright candy-coating, and how the buildings on the left are still grey and untouched.

Once I got up to the top of the hill I climbed up to the top of the lighthouse where I was met with sweeping views of city and a much needed breeze. I always enjoy finding a good vantage point in a new city to help me gain an understanding of where I am.

1 comment: