Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

MARINE IGUANAS


One of my favorite creatures on the Galapagos Islands are the Marine Iguanas. One day I came across this little beach that had the biggest marine iguanas I had ever seen. There were a bunch them, some big ol' lazy guys hanging out on the sand. The spikes on their backs were tall and they zigzagged down their backs all the way to their tails. They were like little fat dragons. On the next beach over as I was making my way towards a flock of blue-footed boobies, I noticed a sign stuck in the ground that was warning people to stay off of the sand because it was a marine iguana egg hatching area. And when I walked down to the rocks close by I noticed that there were tons of little baby marine iguanas perched on the rocks. They were tiny compared to the ones I had seen on the previous beach. The spikes on their backs were only tiny little bumps. The two little guys in the picture on the right, could've fit on the front leg of the guy on the bottom left. Cool.

1 comment:

  1. Blue footed boobies? -- Amazing to see what becomes of those little bumps on the iguana spine when they grow up. The big ones look mean.

    ReplyDelete