Pages

Monday, May 18, 2009

KUALA LUMPUR


Gosh, I totally went to Malaysia last week. What an adventure. I didn't really know much about Malaysia when I bought the ticket, but luckily I had a few hours to kill until my flight so I bought a Lonely Planet to read while I waited. I didn't get into Kuala Lumpur until late, and after catching a bus into the city, and then a taxi from the bus station, I didn't end up getting to the guesthouse until after midnight. The next day I set out to explore the city. Kuala Lumpur is a big, hot, bustling, modern city. It's kind of confusing to walk around, actually it totally blows to walk around. There is no grid, and all of the streets are really curvy and either dead end into another street or merge into a massive ten street intersection... well not really, but kind of. Anyways, despite Kuala Lumpur being a total maze I guess I kind of got the hang of it. I did a bunch of urban hiking my first day and besides getting lost a bunch, I was able to explore Chinatown, Little India and Merdeka Square. All very cool. My second day there I got up early and went to Petronas Towers, Kuala Lumpur's signature skyscrapers. I think they may have been the tallest buildings in the world up to a few years ago. I took the lift up to the skybridge for a view of the city. Later that afternoon I caught the bus up north to the island of Penang...

No comments:

Post a Comment