Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

SEVEN WELLS WATERFALL


My next stop was just down the road from the Langkawi Cable Car. The Seven Wells Waterfall is named so because of a series of little pools that have formed in the rocks. The rocks are slippery and smooth and you can slide down the waterfall from pool to pool. Once I got up to the pools I noticed that there were signs for some trails through the jungle, so before going for a dip in the waterfall I thought I would go for a little hike. The jungle was thick and hot, and all of those dark storm clouds that I saw from the top of the gondola began to make there way overhead. After a half hour or so the rain began to fall, and it fell hard, more like a downpour. I took my shirt off and wrapped it around my camera case for extra protection from the water. It was kind of weird being in the jungle alone in the rain, I passed a few people towards the beginning of my hike, but hadn't seen anyone else along the way. The trail began to get really steep around the same time that the rain began to fall, ropes were tied from tree to tree so you could help pull yourself up the path. I was wearing flip flops, and when the trail began to fill with water and turn into a little stream, the hiking became rather treacherous. I can't say I was really worried at the time, but if anything had happened to me I probably would've been screwed. I kept on hiking up, the jungle was dark in the rainstorm, but I kept on going. After a while the trail opened up into a clearing, a waterfall sliced through the jungle. I scrambled across some rocks and waded through the water over to a boulder that was perched in the middle of the river. Standing up on the rock I could look down the ravine, over the jungle, and out to the sea. I was overwhelmed with a burst of energy and excitement. I stood in the rain, beat my chest like Tarzan, and hollered like a frat boy. I felt alive! 

The view from the boulder changed after the sun came out, the sheets of rain added a sense of depth to the jungle that was lost in the sunshine. But when the sun came out the foliage in the jungle began to sparkle and glimmer in the sunlight. Holy shit. I don't even know, it was just awesome. The trail continued up, but I decided to head back down. I got back down to the pools, picked a few leaches of my feet (gross), and went for a dip. It wasn't that late yet and I still had a lot of the island to explore...

No comments:

Post a Comment