Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

THE LAGOON IN RAILAY


I didn't really know what I was getting myself into when I decided to check out the lagoon, but man alive was it a hike. The trail took me down a very steep and very narrow ravine. I came across another couple hiking down and we all hiked together. I say 'hike', but most of the trail involved repelling down 15 to 20 foot cliffs using a slippery, dirty rope. We went down probably three or four of these drop offs, they were intense. I'm glad I bumped into some other people along the way, it was nice having someone to spot me and give me advice about footholds and where to put my hands. We finally made it to the lagoon, I was muddy and nasty. The lagoon was really cool, I couldn't take any pictures of it that would do it any justice, it was a shallow pond surrounded on all sides by cliffs that shot straight up hundreds and hundreds of feet. Pretty spectacular. I walked around the lagoon and found a little cave with a hammock in it. Gosh, camping down there must be tough, the mosquitos were nasty. The picture on the right was taken looking across the lagoon, you can see the dude I hiked with off to the left, and next to him in the middle of the picture is the ravine we hiked down. The hike back out wasn't as bad as the hike down, I think it's easier climbing up.

At 2:30 in the afternoon I caught the ferry back to Phuket. The next day I met up with my friends Mac and Mike. Mac and I are teaching in the same school so both of us have some time to kill before we start on June 1st. I've been hanging out in Phuket the last few days, relaxing and drinking too many beers. Tomorrow or the next day I think we will catch a bus up to Surat Thani, from there we will head off to Ko Samui and Ko Pha Ngan to do a little more island hopping before heading up to Bangkok to start teaching...

No comments:

Post a Comment