Pages

Monday, May 4, 2009

THE REGGAE BAR


There's a "Reggae Bar" on every beach in Thailand, or at least on every touristy beach. It's interesting. Jamaica is an island of 3 million people, and to think that's it's music has such a huge influence on beach culture around the world is pretty crazy. But the reggae bars I've been to around Thailand don't just cater to tourists that want to experience "island life", well I guess they totally do... but they also seem to be run by these little Thai Rasta dudes. I wonder if they understand that there is more to Rastafari than Bob Marley, weed, and reggae music? They must. Either way, they seem to uphold the lifestyle pretty well.

Down the street from my hotel on Nai Harn Beach is the Reggae Bar. This reggae bar is a little different from others that I've been to. I feel as though it may be a kind of commune, from what I've observed it seems that most of the little dreadlocked Thai dudes that work there sleep in the hammocks that are strung between the palm trees that line the bar. There are a few women that work there too and a handful of little kids that run around the place, quite a pleasant atmosphere. The guy who runs the bar is a jolly man. He often sports a sarong, never wears a shirt, has a big bulbous beer belly, and wears his dreads up on top of his head in a sort of nappy beehive. He's the guy in the picture shooting pool. What a character. I went to the Reggae Bar my first night on Nai Harn Beach, and the second time I went I brought them a few mix CDs of some of my favorite reggae music, they liked that. After a game of pick up soccer last weekend I was walking by the bar and heard them bumping one of my mixes, I had to go in for a beer. They were happy to see me and invited me over to share their roast fish dinner with them. There was a bowl of big black beetles on the table, I'm not sure how they were prepared but they were pretty spicy. I peeled the wings back and took a big bite out of the juicy, gooey beetle butt. They were actually pretty tasty. Good times.

Anyways, this reggae bar isn't your typical Thai reggae bar, not only are these guys Thai Rastas, but they're Thai Rasta cowboys. That's right, Rasta cowboys. Not only do they run a bar, but they have a leather shop that specializes in making moccasins, cowboy boots, belts, holsters, and other leather stuff. Parked out front is an old broken down van where they hang the belts from, a few shoe racks sit next to the van displaying the boots and moccasins, and next to that is the little leather shop where they make everything. Pretty cool. And to model their craft they have a handful of pictures that line the pool table that feature the guys wearing their leatherwear and posing as cowboys and indians. Amazing. I think I will buy a belt before I leave.

2 comments: